Animal waste is a type of organic waste that can be recycled and composted. In Hong Kong, the major sources of organic waste are local livestock farms and racecourses. Baguio has started the cooperation with Jardine Engineer to operate animal waste composting plant at Ngau Tam Mei with a design treatment capacity of 40 tonnes per day. Baguio collects the animal waste (including horse manure, straw or paper bedding materials, and horse feed) and delivers to the composting plant. It is then mixed with the local yard waste (such as grass shavings and leaves) and transferred to the rotary in-vessel aerobic composter, and finally becomes organic soil conditioner (BG soil - certified by Hong Kong Organic Resources Centre) which is suitable for landscaping, horticultural and agricultural uses.
- Provide waste collection bins to the animal waste producers who are in need of the collection service, and collect the animal waste from the farms and the racecourses on a regular basis. Then deliver the collected animal waste to composting plant for composting.
- The animal waste is stored in pre-treatment plant for moisture content testing
- The non-ferrous and plastic materials in the waste are removed by the ferrous magnet separator, non-ferrous metal separator and a disc screen
- The animal waste is further grinded by a grinder
- The animal waste is transferred to the rotary in-vessel aerobic composter where bio-degradation takes place and turns into semi-matured compost. The advantages in using the in-vessel composting are as following:
- - Better moisture content and temperature during the treatment process, in order to maintain the quality of the compost
- - Better control of odour as odour produced from the process can be easily collected for deodorization
- - Feature a smaller footprint as compared with other composting methods
- The semi-matured compost is placed within fermentation box for fermentation for about 40 – 45 days
- The matured compost (BG Soil) is tested and the qualified compost can be used for local horticulture and cultivation.
For more details about BG Soil, please contact us as:
|Office hours:||Mon – Sat (9:00 am – 5:30 pm)|
|Tel:||(852) 2169 3148|