Cockroaches (or Roaches) are one of the most disgusting pests for some people whose are afraid of their scaring appearance and the repugnant smell released from them.
Cockroaches are pests of public health as well as structural importance for the following reasons:
- They are vector or pathogen carrier for a number of diseases such as cholera, typhoid, dysentery, SARS, etc.
- Their excretions and body fragments may trigger allergic symptoms or asthma of some sensitive people.
- Their feces, smell gland secretion and regurgitating fluid often contaminate food and eating utensils.
- They could chew up fiber materials of structures and contaminate materials with their excretions.
Common cockroach species found in Hong Kong include American cockroach, Periplaneta Americana, Australian cockroach, Periplaneta australasiae and German cockroach, Blattella germanica. (more on cockroach biology……)
Integrated pest management (IPM) is a more effective approach against cockroach infestation as compared with control by insecticides only. Persistent use of insecticides could make cockroaches develop resistance against the insecticides. IPM, on the other hand, reduces the cockroach population by eliminating their favorable breeding conditions and the application of target-specific pesticides.
Baguio Cockroach Control services, with IPM specialists and technicians, will adopt the right approach to help our clients solve any cockroach problem in domestic, commercial or public areas.
The IPM approach against cockroach infestation mainly includes the following methods:
By maintaining sanitation, the sources of food, water and harborage for cockroaches can be eliminated. As a result, their breeding potentials could then be reduced.
- Elimination of Food Source
Measures include thorough cleaning of kitchen, food rooms, scullery, garbage rooms, etc.; proper storage of garbage in containers with fitted lids and arrangement for disposal everyday; proper storage of food; immediate cleaning of utensils after use; regular clearance of food remnants from cooking equipment; and immediate cleaning of the feeding place for pets.
- Elimination of Water
Regular inspection and repairing of any leaking facilities; filling up crevices in basins, sinks and bath tubs; regular clearance of stagnant water in trays for air-conditioners, refrigerators and plant pots; proper closing of water containers for pets every night; and keeping ground surfaces dry.
- Elimination of Harborage
Remove living places and shelters for pesticides by repairing cracks and crevices; sealing voids; clearing clutters such as old newspaper and magazines regularly; moving and inspecting hidden places of furniture at intervals; inspecting false ceilings, vent and services ducts regularly; and placing goods off the ground and wall surfaces as far as possible.
Physical control is more suitable for minor cockroach infestation. It can be used to prevent cockroaches from entering the premises. Methods include setting up physical barriers or installation of trapping devices.
- Physical Barriers
Repair and fill up cracks, crevices and holes in building structures and facilities. Install steel wire screen with mesh size of 2mm to floor drain and vent duct outlets.
- Cockroach Traps
Place glue boards or cockroach traps at potential cockroach activity areas to catch them.
Chemical control against cockroaches is using insecticides or biorational pesticides to kill the insect. Examples of insecticides are organophosphates, carbamates, pyrethroids and boric acids. Biorational pesticides include insect growth regulators, avermectin and Metarhizium anislopiae. There are various types of formulations for cockroach pesticides including emulsified concentrate, suspended concentrate, wettable powder, dustable powder, micro-encapsulated concentrate, fogging mist, aerosols, granules, gel baits, etc.
We will select the most effective pesticide formulation according to the environments and seriousness of the infestation. For examples:
- Spray emulsified concentrate, suspended concentrate or wettable powder insecticides to walls, cracks and crevices.
- Apply dustable insecticide powder to holes, voids and dry areas (e.g. electrical service ducts).
- Apply pesticide baits to cockroach harborages to where spraying is not allowed (e.g. computers, electrical appliances, etc.).
- Use pesticide aerosols or fogs to kill and exclude cockroaches in inaccessible harborages (e.g. cracks and crevices in cupboards, cabinets and other furniture).
- For persistently infested locations such as under drains, mix insecticides with an insect growth regulator could reduce and control the cockroach populations.
For some sensitive areas like hospitals and restaurants, we will recommend to implement a cockroach monitoring program including regular inspections and control measures. Installation of insect traps or bait stations to monitor cockroach activities may be required when necessary.
To learn more on Baguio Pest Control Services, please contact us.