Fleas are one of the most annoying and hazardous pests because:
- Fleas are insects that can well adapt as ectoparasite.
- A great variety of animals can serve as host for fleas including mammals and birds.
- Fleas can live in two different environments (on host's body and off the host).
- Fleas can survive in starvation for a long period. The pupation period can last for up to a year under adverse conditions and adult fleas can tolerate starvation for several months.
- Fleas are public health importance pests. They are ectoparasites and act as vector for diseases such as plague and murine typhus. Their biting will also cause unbearable itching and allergic symptoms to some sensitive people.
Common species of fleas in Hong Kong include the cat fleas, Ctenocephalides felis, dog fleas, C. canis and the oriental rat flea, Xenopsylla cheopis.
The basic fleas prevention and control measures are elimination of breeding places; pet treatment; and destroy the life cycle of fleas.
In Baguio Flea Control services, we will recommend the most practicable management method for our clients. A flea management method generally includes surveys, pet treatment, sanitation, chemical control and preventive monitoring.
The objectives of fleas survey are to confirm the infestation and to assess the seriousness. We will interview the client and conduct inspections to get the following information:
- Pets in the premises, their number, activity area and the sanitation of pet house.
- Problems with rodents and stray animals including birds.
- Times and places that the client has spotted the fleas or been bitten.
Adhesive insect traps may be used to catch adult fleas for identification, if necessary.
If flea infestation is confirmed and pets are involved, pet treatment by a veterinarian is recommended. Never try to use general pest control pesticides to treat the pets and their bedding.
Sanitation includes regular vacuuming (could remove 60% flea eggs, 27% larvae and definite number of flea adults) or cleaning of carpets, upholstered furniture and floorings; removing clutters underneath beds and other furniture; frequent cleaning and changing of pet bedding; and filling up cracks and crevices of buildings.
Pre-treatment cleaning can remove some flea eggs, larvae and pupae and clear clutter that obstruct the application of chemicals.
Pesticides used in the chemical control of fleas mainly include insecticides and insect growth regulator (IGR).
- Insecticide Treatment
According to safety and environmental factors, our professional pest management technicians will select the most suitable insecticide formulations such as solution, dust or fogging mist to eradicate the fleas. Since insecticide treatment is usually not effective against flea larvae and pupae, re-treatment about 3 weeks later is recommended in order to kill any newly hatched flea adults.
- IGR Treatment
The active ingredients of IGR against fleas can affect the growth or metamorphosis of flea eggs and larvae and then reduce the number of adult fleas. IGR solution or aerosol can be used for indoor infestation.
- Combined Treatment
Since IGR does not kill adult fleas, combination of IGR with certain insecticides can suppress flea population as well as killing adults in existence.
Prevention of flea infestation, particularly in areas with rodent and stray animal problems, cannot be guaranteed. However, we may take the following measures to prevent any prolonged flea nuisance:
- Apply effective IGR against fleas intermittently.
- Pets must be cleaned and combed regularly; and they should also be brought to the veterinarians for checking at intervals.
- Flea trapping lights may also be installed, if necessary, to monitor any flea activity.
To learn more on Baguio Pest Control Services, please contact us.